Subject: Re: Newbie experience with push over ssh

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:47:03 +0100

Bill Lear <[email-masked]> writes:

> % cat ~/.gitconfig
> [alias]
> 	scp !scp
> 	rcp !rcp
> % git scp -rp . me@remotehost:/directory

[ in this case, I'd prefer using rsync ]

Well, this does not the same as being able to really use git to push.
First, you have no guarantee that the repository will be consistent
during the push. I belive the git repository format is relatively safe
with this regard since git doesn't rewrite data in-place, so the worst
that can happen is probably that someone gets a reference to a
not-yet-uploaded object.

But the real advantage of using the version control system to upload
is to avoid the case of 

$ cd /path/to/dumb/project
$ rsync ./ path:to/very/important/project/

since rsync/scp are not designed to look at the content of the
destination before overriding it. Using git, I believe such
miss-manipulation could lead to having irrelevant data in a
repository, but not to data-loss.

-- 
Matthieu