Subject: Re: Let me ask again: How do we import patches from non-git sources?

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:58:48 +0200

Marc Singer <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 07:30 -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
>> It looks like it reduces to something very simple.
>> 
>> Git patches, as generated by git-format-patch, have a header with an
>> email address.
>> 
>> Cogito patches, as generated by cg-mkpatch, have no email address in the
>> header.

Cogito is more or less depreceted now. You should probably use git
itself.

>> git-am doesn't like the cogito patches.
>> 
>> Is there a way to import patches that did not come from git?  Remember
>> that we'd like to include the functionality of git-am that adds new
>> files to the index.
>> 
>> Cheers.
>
> I have patches from another source as well and I'd like to be able to
> import them even though these aren't from git.

You cannot "import" them, because they do not contain the necessary
information (commit message and email adress). But you can "apply"
them, and then commit manually. Use git-patch (even just "patch" could
do) to apply the patch, and commit as usual.

-- 
Matthieu