Subject: Re: [WIP/PATCH v4 8/8] ref-filter: add 'ref-filter.h'

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:47:11 +0200

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 06/01/2015 02:16 AM, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>> Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > That is kind of a problem, If I need to swap those commits also, I'd
>> > have to add the part where ref-filter is added to the Makefile with
>> > the code movement from for-each-ref to ref-filter. This again will not
>> > just be Code movement.
>>
>> You can have a preparatory patch that adds ref-filter.c containing just
>> "#include ref-filter.h" and ref-filter.h with proper content. After this
>> preparatory patch, you're in a rather silly situation because you have
>> an almost empty .c file, but it's still passing all tests and
>> compileable.
>>
>> Then, the next patch can be just code movement.
>>
> Would it be okay, If I just include the Makefile addition along with the code movement
> from 'for-each-ref' to 'ref-filter.c' like Eric suggested?

I prefer pure code movement, but as Eric said it's also OK to have small
other changes as long as they are related (so it makes sense to include
them in the same commit) and separate (in your case, they touch
different files so it's easy to notice the Makefile change in the
patch).

In any case, because I prefer one way doesn't mean it's the only way or
even that it's the right way.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/