Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git help: group common commands by theme

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 10:18:48 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> And the answer may confuse that someone even further (it is not
>>> necessarily "rm", but is often "reset").  As a list of simple
>>> command set to help the dip-your-toes-in-water process, a new user
>>> may be better off starting with "add", "add ." and "commit -a", and
>>> learn from the last part of "git add --help" that there are "rm" and
>>> "mv" (both of which happen a lot less often than "add").
>>
>> If one wonders how to remove a file from Git, expecting that user to
>> look at the doc for "git add" to find out seems really backwards to me.
>
> Yeah, but you are moving the goalpost.

Yes, because Git has more than one user and each user may have different
ways of thinking. I both find it weird to present "add" without "rm" and
to expect users to look at the doc for "add" to find "rm".

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/