Subject: Re: Re: [RFH] GSoC 2015 application

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 18:32:39 +0100

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> After considerable consideration, I am offering to mentor
> Windows-related projects (into which I count conversion of scripts
> into builtins).

Good news!

About the proposal:

  The idea of this project is to dive into the Git source code and
  convert, say, git-add--interactive.perl and/or git stash into proper C
  code, making it a so-called "built-in".

My advice would be to try converting several small scripts, and avoid
targetting a big one. This way, you can have a first patch series
reviewed on-list, and merged in pu rather soon. From my experience, an
early review is very important to get the student on track, and
splitting the GSoC into multiple related projects avoids the situation
where you have the feature "95% completed" at the end of the GSoC, but
nothing merged.

add--interactive and stash are relatively complex beasts, perhaps
git-pull.sh would be easier to start with.

OTOH, you know which script would be most useful to be converted into a
builtin much better than me!

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/

-- 
-- 
*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "msysGit" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email-masked]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email-masked]
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git for Windows" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.