Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] submodule: don't print status output with ignore=all

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 08:30:53 +0200

Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 04.09.2013 08:31, schrieb Matthieu Moy:
>> "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> Tests are included which verify that this change has no effect on git submodule
>>> summary without the --for-status option.
>> 
>> I still don't understand why this is needed.
>
> To avoid a change in behavior for "git submodule summary", as that
> never honored the submodule.*.ignore nor the diff.ignoreSubmodules
> setting (and I don't think it ever should).

I don't get it. If the goal is to keep the old behavior, then "git
status" shouldn't be changed either. Fixing bugs needs to change the
behavior.

IOW, why was it a bug that "git status" showed ignored submodules and
not a bug that "git submodule summary" did the same?

> Fine by me, what would you propose to clarify that? (Though I have the
> suspicion that the explanation will be three years late ;-)

I have no idea, as I do not understand the reason myself yet. I'm not a
frequent user of submodules and not a user of the ignore option at all,
so I can't tell what's best. I'd just like the new behavior to be
justified somewhere.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/