Subject: Re: GSoC 2017: application open, deadline = February 9, 2017

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 13:11:15 +0100

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well Peff wrote in reply to your email:
>
>> I did co-admin last year and the year before, but I made Matthieu do all
>> the work. :)
>>
>> I do not mind doing the administrative stuff. But the real work is in
>> polishing up the ideas list and microprojects page.
>
> So I thought Peff would be ok to be the admin (do "the administrative
> stuff").

There are several things the admins need to do:

1) "administrative stuff" about money with Conservancy (aka SFC). As I
   understand it, really not much to do since Google and Conservancy
   work directly with each other for most stuff.

2) Filling-in the application, i.e. essentially copy-past from the
   website.
 
3) Then, make sure things that must happen do happen (reviewing
   applications, start online or offline discussions when needed, ...).

Last year Peff did 1) and I did most of 2+3). My understanding of Peff's
reply was "OK to continue doing 1)".

I think you (Christian) could do 2+3). It's much, much less work than
being a mentor. Honnestly I felt like I did nothing and then Peff said I
did all the work :o). I can help, but as I said I'm really short in time
budget and I'd like to spend it more on coding+reviewing.

> I don't think emails in this thread is what really counts.
> I worked on the Idea page starting some months ago, and as I wrote I
> reviewed it again and found it not too bad.

OK, so giving up now seems unfair to you indeed.

I created a Git organization and invited you + Peff as admins. I'll
start cut-and-pasting to show my good faith ;-).

> About the janitoring part, as I previously said I am reluctant to do
> that as I don't know what Dscho would be ok to mentor.
> And I also think it's not absolutely necessary to do it before
> applying as an org.

Right.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/