Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pager: remove 'S' from $LESS by default

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 19:54:11 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> While I fully agree with the above conclusion, I just noticed that I
> will be irritated enough to eventually set pager.blame myself, after
> running a short "git blame -L1311,+7 git-p4.py", which is one of the
> standard first steps for me to start reading patches submit on the
> list.

Perhaps it deserves a mention in the doc, e.g. squashing this on top of
my patch:

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index b7f92ac..ebd1676 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -570,7 +570,9 @@ command to `LESS=FRX less -S`. The environment does not set the
 long lines. Similarly, setting `core.pager` to `less -+F` will
 deactivate the `F` option specified by the environment from the
 command-line, deactivating the "quit if one screen" behavior of
-`less`.
+`less`.  One can specifically activate some flags for particular
+commands: for example, setting `pager.blame` to `less -S` enables
+line truncation only for `git blame`.
 +
 Likewise, when the `LV` environment variable is unset, Git sets it
 to `-c`.  You can override this setting by exporting `LV` with

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/