Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 2/2] t7512-status-warnings.sh: better advices for git status

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 14:57:44 +0200

Kong Lucien <[email-masked]> writes:

>  t/t7060-wtstatus.sh        |    2 +
>  t/t7512-status-warnings.sh |  280 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  2 files changed, 282 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

> diff --git a/t/t7060-wtstatus.sh b/t/t7060-wtstatus.sh
> index b8cb490..d9a1e18 100755
> --- a/t/t7060-wtstatus.sh
> +++ b/t/t7060-wtstatus.sh
> @@ -30,6 +30,8 @@ test_expect_success 'Report new path with conflict' '
>  
>  cat >expect <<EOF
>  # On branch side
> +# You have unmerged paths: fix conflicts and then commit the result.
> +#
>  # Unmerged paths:
>  #   (use "git add/rm <file>..." as appropriate to mark resolution)
>  #

Doesn't the test fail after this if you don't modify the code at the
same time? Git's codebase should pass all tests at each commit (if only
to allow "git bisect" to run smoothly), so don't modify tests and code
in different commits. What you can do on the other hand is to introduce
new failing tests (test_expect_failure), and then mark them as success
when you update the code. Or introduce tests that show the current
behavior, and then patch the expected output when you update the code 
(the above patch hunk is a nice way to demonstrate the change introduced
by the code for example).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/