Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add --show-touched option to show "diff --git" line when contents are unchanged

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:57:11 +0200

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don't know whether it was a typo, but we're not talking about
>> "commit", but "status".
>
> No typo.  "git status" is literally "git commit --dry-run".  Why?  Because 
> people expected it to be called "git status".
>
> And even if I think about it over and over again, it makes sense.

I was surprised of that when looking at the source, but yes, it makes
sense.

But the message I was replying to claimed that 
"git status-or-commit -a" _needed_ to put objects in the object
database. That's true of "git commit -a" but not of "git status -a",
even if you call it "git commit --dry-run -a", precisely because of
the --dry-run thing.

-- 
Matthieu