Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:19:46 +0200

Sean <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ah, okay.  Well Git can definitely manage this.  Just means you have to
> rebase any local changes before pushing.  This will keep the history
> linear and make sure that no merges are needed in the case you were asking
> about.

Sure. As I said before, the little add-on of checkouts is that you say
once "I don't want to do local commit here", and bzr reminds you this
each time you commit. Well, where it can make a difference is that it
does it in a transactional way, that is, you don't have that little
window between the time you pull and the time you push your next
commit. But this would really be bad luck ;-).

> So far, it sounds to me like bazaar and git are more alike than they are
> different.  Each have a few commands the other doesn't but all in all
> they sound very similar.

Sure. And at least, if you want to prove that your decentralized SCM
is the best, you'd better look at features other than the ability to
commit on a local branch ;-). If you want a _real_ flamewar, better
talk about rename management or revision identity.

The thing is that most people migrated from CVS/svn, so they found
their new SCM to be incredibly better the existing. But it's generally
not _so_ much better than the other modern alternatives ;-). (and
don't forget to thank Darcs and Monotone who brought most of the good
ideas you and I are using)

> But i'm a Git fanboy so I aint switching now ;o)

Probably not going to switch either, but that might happen.

-- 
Matthieu