Subject: Re: [PATCH 09/10] user-manual.txt: explain better the remote(-tracking) branch terms

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:01:36 +0200

Jay Soffian <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> +In this case, "origin" is called a remote repository, or "remote" for
>> +short. The branches of this repository are called "remote branches"
>> +from our point of view, and Git will keep a copy of these
>> +branches, called "remote-tracking branches" in the local repository.
>> +These remote-tracking branches are references that will be updated by
>> +"git fetch" (hence by "git pull"). See
>> +<<Updating-a-repository-With-git-fetch>> for details.
>
> "...and Git will initially clone these branches into so-called
> "remote-tracking branches" in the local repository.

I don't thinks it's a good idea to use the word "clone" here. "clone"
is used for repository cloning, and I find it confusing to overload
the word for branches.

> Thereafter, the
> remote-tracking branches are updated upon fetching from[1] or pushing
> to the remote. ([1] which also includes pulling.)

I don't like the [1] kind of footnote within the text, but I forgot to
mention that "git push" updates the remote-tracking in my text.
That'll be fixed in next version.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/