Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] interpret-trailers: add option for in-place editing

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:24:25 +0100

Tobias Klauser <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm using a static global in order to have it automatically zeroed out
> and according to the documentation in tempfile.h it can be reused. Also,
> all other users of struct tempfile (except for lockfile.h) are using it
> this way.

It seems I hate global variables more than other Git contributors ;-).
Anyway, OK with this.

> According to the comment in tempfile.h an atexit(3) handler is installed
> by prepare_tempfile_object() (which in turn is called by
> x?mks_tempfile_*) which will remove the file in this case. Or did I miss
> something here?

You didn't, I wasn't aware of this atexit handler.

>> It may help the user to get "could not rename temporary file %s to %s"
>> in case this happens.
>
> I think if we keep the current semantics (where the tempfile will be
> deleted by the atexit(3) handler), it doesn't make sense to mention the
> filename in the error message as the file will be gone by the time the
> user has any chance to react. I'd suggest somethin like "could not
> rename temporary file to %s".

Good. The important bit is to tell the user which file.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/