Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH v2 3/3] status: introduce status.displayCommentChar to disable display of #

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:50:58 +0200

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy wrote:
>
>>                                                In the long run, if users
>> like the non-prefix output, it may make sense to flip the default value
>> to true.
>
> Hmm, do you mean that the configuration is to give the change-averse
> some time to get used to the new output?  I think it would make sense
> to do it all at once (and even think that that would be less
> confusing).

The actual reason was that I initially thought the change would be much
more controversial. I wanted to live with the option on for some time to
see how much I liked it, and allow others to do the same without forcing
the change.

If everybody agree that status it better without the comment, and that
the switch does not need a config option, then I'm fine with dropping
the config option.

We can also keep the config option, but document it as a transitional
option only ("the behavior changed in Git XXX, to keep the old behavior,
set this to YYY"). Then it could be status.oldStyle instead.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/