Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach diff machinery to display other prefixes than "a/" and "b/"

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:02:43 +0100

Pascal Obry <[email-masked]> writes:

> Johannes Schindelin a écrit :
>> With the new option "--prefix=<prefix1>[:<prefix2>]" you can change
>> the shown prefix, or suppress it (by specifying the empty string).
>
> Why not ? But do you have a motivation for this change ? I mean why
> would you want to use a completely different prefix ?

It can make sense when you send the patch to someone who might not
know the context in which you wrote the patch, and who's not using
git. Then

--- your-version/foo.c
+++ my-version/foo.c

can be more expressive than a/ and b/. Some people like to have orig/
and mod/ also.

I can live without --prefix=... option, but doing it general at once
is a good idea, since adding this backward-compatibly on top of your
patch would mean having several redundant options.

-- 
Matthieu