Subject: Re: [RFC] status: show tracking branch even no difference

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 17:50:08 +0200

Jiang Xin <[email-masked]> writes:

> With this patch, "git status" will report relationship between current
> branch and its upstream counterpart even if there is no difference.
>
>     $ git status
>     # On branch master
>     # Your branch is identical to its tracking branch: 'origin/master'.

Why not, but we try to say "remote-tracking branch" instead of just
"tracking". Adding "remote-" in your wording may make the line a bit
long, but it may be sufficient to say

# Your branch is identical to 'origin/master'

That's consistant with other messages like

# Your branch is ahead of '%s' by %d commits

(And this would deserve a test)

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/