Subject: Re: [PATCH] config.c: change the function signature of `git_config_string()`

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:03:07 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> OK, it seems I got convinced too quickly by Junio ;-). The function
>> produces a char * that can be modified, but it also receives a value,
>> and the function should keep the "const" to allow passing "const char
>> *".
>
> Don't blame me. I never suggested to touch that existing function,
> with existing call sites.

I don't understand what you mean. The new git_config_get_string()
function is meant to be used in essentially every places where
git_config_string() is currently used, so removing the const from
git_config_get_string() raises the same issue as changing the existing
function.

Dropping the const means we won't be able to write

const char *v = "default";
...
git_config_get_string(&v, ...);

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/