Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] rewrite `git_default_config()` using config-set API functions

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:55:10 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In general, most strings one manipulates are "const char *", it's
>> frequent to modify a pointer to a string, but rather rare to modify the
>> string itself.
>
> We seem to have a disagreement.  Unlike git_config_get_value() that
> lets callers peek the only cached copy, git_config_get_string()
> gives its caller a new copy that the caller needs to free.  Such a
> new string can and should be given as mutable, I would say.

You're right (I guess you replied to this one before seeing my other
message). imap_folder could be declared const char *, but
git_config_get_string() shouldn't be the one to force this.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/