Subject: Re: [PATCH] config.c: change the function signature of `git_config_string()`

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:44:48 +0200

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> will complain that we are passing a pointer to "const char *", not a
> pointer to "char *". And indeed, compiling with your patch introduces a
> ton of compiler warnings.

Tanay: are you not compiling with gcc -Wall -Werror?

(see my earlier message, just create a file config.mak containing

  CFLAGS += -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Werror

)

> We would have to convert each of the variables we pass to it to:
>
>   static char *some_global;

OK, it seems I got convinced too quickly by Junio ;-). The function
produces a char * that can be modified, but it also receives a value,
and the function should keep the "const" to allow passing "const char
*".

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/