Subject: Re: [PATCH] connect: read $GIT_SSH_COMMAND from config file

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:35:52 +0200

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 01:16:35PM +0200, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
>
>> +	use the specified command instead of 'ssh' when they need to
>> +	connect to a remote system. The command is in the same form as
>> +	'GIT_SSH_COMMAND' environment variable and is overriden when
>> +	the environment variable is set.
>
> Probably s/'GIT_SSH_COMMAND'/the &/.

I think so. I'd write either "same form as `GIT_SSH_COMMAND`" or "same
form as the `GIT_SSH_COMMAND` environment variable`.

> Are we using backticks for typesetting environment variables now? That
> has always been my preference, but I haven't kept up with the typography
> patches that have been flying lately. +cc Matthieu.

Yes, we've tried to make the docs a bit more consistant, and to document
that better in Documentation/CodingGuidelines:

 An environment variable must be prefixed with "$" only when referring to its
 value and not when referring to the variable itself, in this case there is
 nothing to add except the backticks:
   `GIT_DIR` is specified
   `$GIT_DIR/hooks/pre-receive`

> (Similar question for commands like 'git fetch').

Backticks too:

   Literal examples (e.g. use of command-line options, command names,
 branch names, configuration and environment variables) must be
 typeset in monospace (i.e. wrapped with backticks):
   `--pretty=oneline`
   `git rev-list`

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/