Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/10] ref-filter: add %(refname:shortalign=X) option

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 12:20:36 +0200

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Matthieu Moy
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I think this would deserve a test and documentation. Even though your
>> motivation is for an internal implementation, some users may want to use
>> the feature in 'git for-each-ref --format=...'.
>>
>
> I didn't want to include documentation as this is mostly for internal use,
> but will add with tests.

You need it for internal use, but it's still available to the users, and
may actually turn out to be useful to users.

Actually, you are rewritting tag and branch based on the internal C API,
but it should be possible to write similar commands based on the
command-line interface and by looking at the documentation. It's part of
the philosophy of Git ("toolkit design") to have plumbing commands that
allow writting high-level commands through scripting, or custom commands
through aliases.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/