Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] Build in git-repack

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:28:50 +0200

[ It's cool you're working on this, I'd really like a git-repack in C.
  That would fix this
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/226458 ]

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
>
> pack-objects learns a few more options to take over what's been done
> by git-repack.sh. cmd_repack() becomes a wrapper around
> cmd_pack_objects().

I think the patch would read easier if these were split into two
patches: one doing the real stuff in pack-objects, and then getting rid
of git-repack.sh to replace it with a trivial built-in.

Actually, I'm wondering why pack-objects requires so much changes.
git-repack.sh was already a relatively small wrapper around
pack-objects, and did not need the new options you add, so why are they
needed? In particular adding the new --update-info option that just does

> +	if (repack_flags & REPACK_UPDATE_INFO)
> +		update_server_info(0);

seems overkill to me: why don't you just let cmd_repack call
update_server_info(0)?

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/