Subject: Re: GSoC 2008 - Mentors Wanted!

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:23:47 +0100

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK, enough, onto the project list!
>
>   http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2008Ideas

Jakub posted an idea about git.el (Emacs support) a few days ago:

> * GNU Emacs git GUI
>
>   Make git mode for Emacs full featured git GUI, and not only commit
>   tool, following ideas of PCL-CVS... and its limitation. I guess that
>   DVC (http://download.gna.org/dvc) git mode is one thing to examine
>   searching for features to implement, but from what I have read in
>   documentation it is quite a but GNU Arch centric. Other git GUIs, like
>   git-gui, gitk, qgit, tig could also be inspiration for features.
>
>   Goal: Allow creating and switching branches, examining history,
>   merging, fetching etc. from withing Emacs. Should include modes for
>   git config file forma and format-patch patches.
>
>   Language: Emacs Lisp
>   Suggested mentors:
>     Alexandre Julliard
>     David Kagedal

Since I've been quite involved in DVC in the past, I'm willing to help
with this, but unfortunately, I'm swamped with work and I can't commit
for ~5-10h/week on that.

So, if someone else steps in, perhaps we could rephrase the subject in
a "merge git.el and DVC, and improve it" way, and I could co-mentor
this one.

All that said, I think most of the ideas already on the wiki should be
prioritized (I love Emacs, but I think more people need a good Windows
support/GUI for example).

-- 
Matthieu