Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/7] refs/reftable: add consistency checks

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2025 14:08:21 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes in v4:
> - The biggest change is to iterate over the tables in a reftable stack
>   for consistency checks instead of all files inside the REFTABLE_DIR.
>   This avoids all race conditions. Also, since we only check the tables
>   in a stack, it no longer makes sense to check file type.

Nice.

> - The discussion about update indices was concluded that tables indices
>   in a stack must be strictly monotonically increasing. While modifying
>   the code to do the same. I realized that we already have this check in
>   'reftable_addition_add()' where we check while adding a new table to
>   the stack: `wr->min_update_index < add->next_update_index`. So I've
>   dropped this patch from the series.

Great.  Reading over patches and noticing that it is not needed is
the best kind of proofreading ;-)

> - Change parse_names() to accept the output string array as an argument
>   and return an error instead. This makes the flow a little easier to
>   understand.

Wonderful.

Will queue.  Thanks.