Subject: Re: [GSoC][RFC PATCH v5 1/6] doc: factor out common option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2025 11:34:24 -0700

Meet Soni <[email-masked]> writes:

> In preparation for adding documentation for `git refs list`, factor out
> the common options from the `git-for-each-ref` man page into a
> shareable file `for-each-ref-options.adoc` and update
> `git-for-each-ref.adoc` to use an `include::` macro.
>
> This change is a pure refactoring and results in no change to the
> final rendered documentation for `for-each-ref`.
>
> Mentored-by: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
> Mentored-by: shejialuo <[email-masked]>
> Mentored-by: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Meet Soni <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/for-each-ref-options.adoc | 79 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  Documentation/git-for-each-ref.adoc     | 80 +------------------------
>  2 files changed, 80 insertions(+), 79 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 Documentation/for-each-ref-options.adoc

This contradicts with Karthik's "for-each-ref --start-after=<>"
topic that has been in 'next' and now in 'master'.  Mechanically
merging the result of applying these patches on top of 'master'
before the "--start-after" series into 'seen' would leave the
description of --start-after in git-for-each-refs.adoc; there isn't
any textual conflict, which makes it even worse.

Rebasing the series on top 2.51-rc0 may not be a bad idea.

Thanks.