Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2025, #06; Wed, 22)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2025 15:49:22 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Thanks.  A greedy me wonders if things like this can be caught by
>> them a bit earlier before they hit 'next', though ;-)
>
> I've always been a little afraid to touch 'seen' since it does not
> necessarily even pass tests, and I don't want to waste too much time
> hunting problems in other people's topics. ;)

I do not generally recommend using the tip of the 'seen' branch to
those who want automated testing, as it more often than not contains
topics that are known-broken (which I do on purpose, so that I can
point at GitHub CI failure to authors), but it the automated testing
includes automatically bisecting once 'seen' is found broken, that
would work fine and it would be extra useful. The next greater step
would be to feed the bisection result to Copilot or whatever
programming peer of your choice, and see if it can fix the breakage.

To help the idea of catching before things hit next, it probably
would make the most sense to test the tip of the 'jch' branch, which
is somewhere between the 'master' and the 'seen' branches and
contains a bit more topics than the 'next' branch does. The branch
is usually what I use for my work every day, so even though it may
have acquired new leaks and UBs that would not cause troubles in
practice, it should functionally be a lot more stable and usable
than the tip of 'seen'.

Thanks.