Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] object-name: fix reversed ordering with ":/<PATTERN>" revisions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2024 07:46:55 +0900

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fair, I should've double checked. Anyway, verifying the behaviour of
> both in the added test is probably still sensible.

I'll queue with this range-diff on top.  :/<text> is explained in
"git help revisions" as "reachable from any ref", and it is a good
phrase to use there, I think.

Thanks, both, I should've double-checked, too.

      ## Commit message ##
         object-name: fix reversed ordering with ":/<PATTERN>" revisions
     
    -    Recently it was reported [1] that "look for the youngest reachable
    -    commit with log message that match the given pattern" syntax (e.g.
    -    ':/<PATTERN>' or 'HEAD^{/<PATTERN>}') started to return results in
    +    Recently it was reported [1] that "look for the youngest commit
    +    reachable from any ref with log message that match the given
    +    pattern" syntax (e.g. ':/<PATTERN>') started to return results in
         reverse recency order. This regression was introduced in Git v2.47.0 and
         is caused by a memory leak fix done in 57fb139b5e (object-name: fix
         leaking commit list items, 2024-08-01).