Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/6] : add more rules and enable on CI

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 08:09:31 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes against v4:
> - While testing out temp file as source for the CI, I noticed that version
> of clang-format on GitHub is much older than that of GitLab, in accordance
> with that, I removed some of the rules which are newer and not supported.

Let's see what we lost relative to the previous round.
 
        -# Insert a newline at end of file if missing
        -InsertNewlineAtEOF: true

I guess we can do "git diff --check $BASE...HEAD", if we wanted to,
which will trigger 'blank-at-eol' and other whitespace checks.

        +# Don't insert spaces inside empty '()'
        +SpaceInEmptyParentheses: false
        +
        -SpacesInParens: Custom
        -SpacesInParensOptions:
        -  # Don't insert spaces inside empty '()'
        -  InEmptyParentheses: false
        +# Don't insert spaces after '(' or before ')'
        +# f(arg);    not    f( arg );
        +SpacesInParentheses: false
 
This was to express what we used an older construct to express by
using a newer construct?  So we are not losing anything here.

So, I guess loss of changes to a few rules is nothing to shed tears
on.

Unrelated to the rules part, this caught my eyes, but

        diff --git c/ci/install-dependencies.sh w/ci/install-dependencies.sh
        index 8b01bfb89f..fb34ced8f0 100755
        --- c/ci/install-dependencies.sh
        +++ w/ci/install-dependencies.sh
        -		${CC_PACKAGE:-${CC:-gcc}} $PYTHON_PACKAGE clang-format
        +		${CC_PACKAGE:-${CC:-gcc}} $PYTHON_PACKAGE
 
this is to stop installing clang-format everywhere because we are
already installing it in ClangFormat job anyway?  A good change.

Thanks.