Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/7] refs: accept symref values in `ref_transaction[_add]_update`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:31:36 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/7] refs: accept symref values in `ref_transaction[_add]_update`
>
> The `ref_transaction[_add]_update` functions obtain ref information and
> flags to create a `ref_update` and add it to the transaction at hand.

Just a very minor irritation, but ref_transaction_add_update() is a
function used internally in the ref subsystem and is exported only
because its visibility needs to cross file boundaries between refs.c
and refs/*backend.c files.

It would be better to only mention ref_transaction_update() in the
title, and talk about the need to make matching adjustment to
ref_transaction_add_update(), which is an internal function, in the
body of the log message.

This is an unrelated #leftoverbits tangent, but while trying to find
out the reason why "[_add]" in the title looked irritating to me, I
noticed that builtin/show-ref.c includes <refs/refs-internal.h>.  I
do not know what it uses from the "internal" implementation detail,
but the API may have to be cleaned up so that a random "client"
caller do not have to do so.

The patch itself looked good.  Thanks.