Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] doc: describe the project's decision-making process

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:18:52 -0700

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for writing this. I, for one, would love to see the process
> evolve a little to account for the scale of work coming through the
> list on any given day. However, that's a discussion that will be
> easier to have once we have the status quo written and checked in.
> ...
> So, if nobody disagrees with the content of this document, I think we
> should absolutely merge it. It will be great for newbies to see what
> they're getting into, and for me to send to my boss to explain why my
> predictions for my team's patches landing are so broad.

Isn't it a bit too late to say "if nobody disagrees with", after it
was pointed out that the world around here does not work that way
(yet) about a week ago?

If we have an agreeable v2 already posted on the list that I missed,
then sorry, please disregard the above comment.

I still don't think it captures "the status quo", which is what you
want this document to be, about "larger-scale decisions", as the
Introduction of the document says.  Can we have a set of pointers in
the document, when it gets rerolled, to an actual example of how we
made such a larger-scale decision?  Without such illustration with a
real world example, it looks to me that what it describes is what we
wish the process to be (which is not necessarily I would object to),
but labeling it as "describing the status quo" is very much
objectionable.

Thanks.