Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Use a "best effort" strategy in scheduled maintenance

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:36:03 -0700

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> Over in https://github.com/microsoft/git/issues/623, it was pointed out that
> scheduled maintenance will error out when it encounters a missing
> repository. The scheduled maintenance should exit with an error, all right,
> but what about the remaining repositories for which maintenance was
> scheduled, and that may not be missing?

Interesting.

As the order of the maintenance run across repositories is not
controlled by the end-user, I think it is reasonable to keep going
and finish the others, at least by default (if you could control the
ordering, you could make an arrangement where having ran maintenance
on repository A successfully would be necessary to do maintenance on
repository B, but we do not give that power to the end users).

> This patch series addresses this by introducing a new for-each-repo option
> and then using it in the command that is run via scheduled maintenance.

OK.