Subject: Re: [GSoC] Microproject help

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:23:29 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 11:40 AM vk <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> For the microproject, I have looked into the lists for 2024 and it seems
>> that all the projects have been taken except for `Replace a
>> run_command*() call by direct calls to C functions`. However, it seems
>> that the issue has been solved. The command I ran to search throughout
>> the repo is `git grep 'run_command*('` and the search result returns
>> run_command functions which I assume are essential.
>>
>> If there is any low hanging fruits that you can suggest to me for the
>> microproject, that will be great. I will also be searching throughout
>> the mailing list to see if there are any potential microproject to work
>> on.
>
> Searching the mailing list for "#leftoverbits"[1] can be a good way to
> discover little tasks which may be suitable for a GSoC microproject.
>
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=%23leftoverbits

True, but with a caveat that they may range from "low hanging fruit"
to "too hard, let's punt".  After seeing the anonymous questioners'
question, I did go to that query page (actually I qualified the
query further to list only the ones I gave the mark) and decided not
to suggest it because I found that many recent ones are harder than
"trivial changes suitable for a practice material to go through the
review cycles" X-<.

Thanks.