Subject: Re: [PATCH] builtin/log.c: prepend "RFC" on --rfc

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:12:08 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree it sounds like a good change but if we're going to change it
> than I think we should ensure
>
>     git format-patch --subject-prefix=foo --rfc
>
> and
>
>     git format-patch --rfc --subject-prefix=foo
>
> give the same result.

Good catch.  The implementation with this patch feel philosophically
dirty, in that the new "--rfc" is no longer "we use a different
subject-prefix" but "this new option is independent from the
subject-prefix; whatever string that other option receives goes
before the title, and our string goes even before that".  And to
reflect that independent nature better, it should just grab the
string into a separate local variable and combine the two into a
single prefix string after parse_options() returns.

Thanks.