Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-clone.txt: document -4 and -6

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 15:06:35 +0900

Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]> writes:

> These options were added in c915f11eb4 ("connect & http: support -4 and
> -6 switches for remote operations").
>
> Signed-off-by: Jakub Wilk <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/git-clone.txt | 8 ++++++++
>  1 file changed, 8 insertions(+)

The patch is not _wrong_ per-se, but there are other options that
are common among the "fetch" family of commands.  I counted at least
these should be shared between "fetch" and "clone", by splitting
them out of "fetch-options.txt" into a new file, and including that
new file from "fetch-options.txt" and "git-clone.txt".  Those marked
with (?) are described in different phrasing between "clone" and
"fetch", and may fall into the "let's keep them separate, because
they mean different things" category (later):

 * --jobs
 * --upload-pack
 * --quiet (?)
 * --verbose (?)
 * --progress
 * --server-option
 * --ipv[46]

Note that these happen to share the same name, but to "clone" and
"fetch" they different things, so leaving them separate is the right
thing to do.

 * --no-tags
 * --recurse-submodules

Thanks.