Subject: Re: Can we clarify the purpose of `git diff -s`?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:47:56 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> So your rationale to reject a perfectly logical behavior that *everyone* agrees
> with is that it might break a hypothetical patch?

Everyone is an overstatement, as there are only Sergey and you, and
as we all saw in public some members stated they will not engage in
a discussion thread in which you were involved.  In addition, at PLC
I've seen people complain about how quickly a discussion that
involves you becomes unproductive---they may have better sence of
backward compatibility concern than you two, but they are staying
silent (they are wiser than I am).

> Just do `--silent` instead.

I am *not* shutting the door for "--no-patch"; I am only saying that
it shouldn't be done so hastily.  Indeed "--silent" or "--squelch"
is one of the things that I plan to suggest when we were to go with
"--no-patch is no longer -s" topic.  But conflating the two will
delay the fix for "-s sticks unnecessarily" that is ready for this
cycle.

Anyway, I will be wiser and will stay out of this thread from now
on, as long as you are involved.