Subject: Re: Suggestion to rename "blame" of the "git blame" command to something more neutral

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 09:35:43 -0700

Michal Suchánek <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What do you think about this old patch of mine to add a 'git praise'?:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> Since you are asking .. I think it completely misses the point.
>
> I would consider it effective if users of git-praise(1) needed no
> knowledge of existence of git-blame(1).

I think you are the one who completely misses the point of him
sending the URL (hint: what is the date of the patch?)

"blame" is perfectly fine.  It is the tool we use to find a commit
or a series of commits to be blamed for whichever blocks of code in
the current codebase we are interested in.  Even if it is to find
the source of the buggy or ugly code in the current codebase
(i.e. "verb with negative connotation"), we are trying to put our
fingers on the commit to be blamed.

And it is not personal---you may find who the "author" was as a side
effect of finding that offending commit, but authors write both good
and bad commits, and what we are trying to find is in which commit
lies the origin of the current badness.  There is no need to be
overly politically correct by bending the verb we use.

Please do not waste our limited engineering resource on a nonsense
like this.  A solution for whoever do not want to type b l a m e has
already been provided upthread and the discussion should end right
there.

Thanks.