Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] ls-files: update test style

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:54:25 -0700

"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>Mention end of here-document marker should by default be quoted,
>>unless the body needs $variable_interpolation? 
> Sorry, I don't get it. I don't see many of ending "EOF" are quoted in our tests.

We encourage to quote the end marker when there is no interpolation
in the here-document, so that ones that do not quote can stand out
and grab attention by developers who are reading the tests, i.e.

	cmd <<-EOF
	$variable interpolated
	EOF

The fact that EOF is not quoted serves as a signal to readers that
they may want to inspect the here-doc text carefully with the
variable interpolation in mind.  If the EOF marker is quoted,

	cmd <<-\EOF
	literal here text
	EOF

even if there are many lines in the here-document, the readers may
not have to be so careful---what is used is what they see (modulo
removing the leading indentation tabs).