Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] bitmap-format.txt: fix some formatting issues

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 15:02:22 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> Similarly, everything below the "A header appears at the beginning"
> list item appears in a <pre> element, so the rendered HTML looks more
> like plaintext to me.

True.  Unless we are going to revamp the text in some major way so
that we produce "true" HTML, not just the text source enclosed in a
<pre></pre> pair, I would think we are better off keeping it not
passed to AsciiDoc and leaving it in text format.  After all, modern
browsers, which I presume those who want HTML output files would
read them with, can display plain text files just fine, don't they?

> This isn't new from your patch, but I wonder if now is a good
> opportunity to make some light use of the formatting options that
> ASCIIDoc gives us to make the page read a little bit more easily when
> rendered as HTML.

There was some talk about asking those who are adept at website
engineering to work on git-scm.com; it may be a good starting point
to look at these text files that weren't originally written to be
given to AsciiDoc and convert them to be true AsciiDoc sources.

Thanks.