Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add pcre2 support for cmake build system.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:02:47 -0700

"Yuyi Wang via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Yuyi Wang <[email-masked]>
>
> This commit fixes one of the TODOs listed in the CMakeLists.txt.
>
> There's also some small fix to ensure it builds successfully.
>
> Signed-off-by: Yuyi Wang <[email-masked]>
> ---

I haven't worked on the CMakeLists but is the above description
sufficient to tell what is going on if given to those who are
familiar with it (I ask because it is not clear at all to me).

> diff --git a/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt b/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
> index 185f56f414f..99d6cb963c4 100644
> --- a/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
> +++ b/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
> @@ -54,7 +54,7 @@ set(CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR}/../..)
>  
>  option(USE_VCPKG "Whether or not to use vcpkg for obtaining dependencies.  Only applicable to Windows platforms" ON)
>  if(NOT WIN32)
> -	set(USE_VCPKG OFF CACHE BOOL FORCE)
> +	set(USE_VCPKG OFF CACHE BOOL "" FORCE)
>  endif()

Is this "small fix to ensure it builds successfully"?  To those who
do not need/want to use pcre2, is this hunk still needed to "build
successfully", or is this something that becomes necessary only
because we have other hunks in this patch to add support to pcre2?

If the former, then perhaps the change deserves to be its own patch
with own explanation why it is necessary, what breaks without it,
etc.

Thanks.