Subject: Re: Git bug report - disk errors on Windows after push

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:13:27 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> For something like an external disk that may have its power cable yanked
> I'd give it about even odds that it's HW v.s. git's own FS syncing logic
> being at fault.

Given that the original report had this:

    Disk errors. After pushing to a directory (my origin field is C:\Work
    for example) the git repository will be corrupted.
    Moreover causing disk errors not only in the target git bare
    repository. I've loosed some other files.

that clearly stated that the corruption spreads outside repositories
managed (and written and fsynced) by Git, it does not seem likely
that Git's relying on "closing is enough as sync daemon will
eventually flush them" is the primary source of corruption.

The recent "are we fsyncing correctly?" topic is about how likely we
would survive in the presense of actions like unplugging without
unmounting.  It does not help a bit against flaky hardware, and even
when it helps, it is merely making the damage caused by such actions
less severe.