Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] trace.h: remove never-used TRACE_CONTEXT

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:12:02 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> Perhaps you'd like a v4 without this. It isn't strictly needed, but
> where I'm going with this series is improving the usage.c output/passing
> of these __{FILE,LINE,FUNCTION}__.

My stance is that

 * the removal of this indirection is so small that the current
   series can live without it---in fact, it does not benefit the
   current series at all---the only thing it brings us is a possible
   breakage for those we failed to consider their use case.

 * the removal of this indirection is so small but a future and
   unrelated usage.c improvement may benefit from it, so it should
   be justified within the context of that future series.  It still
   may break the same folks whose use case we did not consider, but
   the other "improvement" in that future topic may offset the
   downside.

So ...

> ... since those functions won't deal well
> with replacing a __FILE__ "just pass whatever data you'd like here".

... leave that as the justification for the _other_ series.  It does
not belong here in this series.