Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] status: print stash info with --porcelain=v2 --show-stash

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 16:47:53 -0700

Øystein Walle <[email-masked]> writes:

> The v2 porcelain format is very convenient for obtaining a lot of
> information about the current state of the repo, but does not contain
> any info about the stash. git status already accepts --show-stash but
> it's silently ignored when --porcelain=v2 is given.
>
> Let's add a simple line to print the number of stash entries but in a
> format similar in style to the rest of the format.

Who is the primary target audience of this feature?  IDEs that read
from "git status --porcelain"?

Whoever it is, if they bothered enough to pass an extra option
(i.e. "--show-stash") to their "git status" invocation, I wonder if
they want to know at least what "git stash list" would give you at
the same time.  After all, the --porcelain output is all about
machine readability and reducing the number of forks would be what
those people would be interested in, wouldn't it?  I dunno.

Thanks.