Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] [GSOC] cherry-pick: fix bug when used with GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 13:44:36 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> This will break git-rebase--preserve-merges.sh which uses
> GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP to set the help and ensure CHERRY_PICK_HEAD is 
> removed when picking commits.

Ahh, I didn't realize we still had scripted rebase backends that
called cherry-pick as an executable.  I was hoping that all rebase
backends by now would be calling into the cherry-pick machinery
directly, bypassing cmd_cherry_pick(), and that was why I suggested
to catch stray one the end-users set manually in the environment
and clear it there.

> I'm a bit confused as to what the
> problem is - how is 'git cherry-pick' being run with
> GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP set in the environment outside of a rebase (your
> explanation in [1] does not mention how GIT_CHERRY_PICK_HELP is set)?

I didn't press for the information too hard, but I guessed that it
was perhaps because somebody like stackoverflow suggested to set a
message in their environment to get a "better message."