Subject: Re: Re* [PATCH] doc: glossary: add entry for revision range

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:57:42 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If you google for `git remote "set-head"` there's barely any
>> information. It's basically all online man pages.
>
> Why would people need to use "git remote set-head" most of the time?

I somehow thought Felipe wanted to say that there is nothing but
manual pages that mention the command and, "look how useful set-head
subcommand is, here is how you use it" blog posts are not seen
because nobody uses 'remote set-head'.

I do not quesiotn the frequency count of set-head, but I do not
think the lack of mention of set-head leads to the conclusion that
nobody uses "git log origin.."; there is a leap in logic.  As you
said below, "origin" is there without need for set-head, so the lack
of enthusiastic advocate for set-head does not mean anything wrt how
people find "origin" useful.

> The
> symlink is set up properly by git-clone, and has been for many years.
> For most people, using "origin" just works (the exception is people who
> "git init" and then "git remote add origin" themselves; since we're
> guessing at numbers, I would guess that _that_ population is less than
> 1% of users).