Subject: Re: RFC/Discussion - Submodule UX Improvements

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:30:50 -0700

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is actually a point we discussed internally and I cut out of the
> doc before sharing, because it is very far down our roadmap (not
> expecting to address until probably the second half of the year). As I
> understand it, this can also be achieved today by setting
> 'submodule.path/to/module.active = false' in the superproject's
> .git/config.

Yeah, I think we also added support to choose which submodules can
be "active" based on the attributes system.

Three are many ways to apply band-aid to a tree that should have
been a monolithic single repository but has been split into many
submodules only because we historically did not scale well.  As you
meantioned, sparse-checkout and lazy/partial cloning may change the
picture drastically, not just "sparse" may allow such an "a set of
artificially split out submodules" to be selectively populated, but
more directly clone and work with only the parts you are interested
in a monolithic repository.