Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.31.1

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:52:20 -0700

The latest maintenance release Git v2.31.1 is now available at
the usual places.

Nothing extraordinary.  Just to fix known issues in v2.31 and
backport some clean-ups already made for the next feature release.

The tarballs are found at:

    https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/

The following public repositories all have a copy of the 'v2.31.1'
tag and the 'maint' branch that the tag points at:

  url = https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git
  url = https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git
  url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
  url = https://github.com/gitster/git

----------------------------------------------------------------

Git 2.31.1 Release Notes
========================

Fixes since v2.31
-----------------

 * The fsmonitor interface read from its input without making sure
   there is something to read from.  This bug is new in 2.31
   timeframe.

 * The data structure used by fsmonitor interface was not properly
   duplicated during an in-core merge, leading to use-after-free etc.

 * "git bisect" reimplemented more in C during 2.30 timeframe did not
   take an annotated tag as a good/bad endpoint well.  This regression
   has been corrected.

 * Fix macros that can silently inject unintended null-statements.

 * CALLOC_ARRAY() macro replaces many uses of xcalloc().

 * Update insn in Makefile comments to run fuzz-all target.

 * Fix a corner case bug in "git mv" on case insensitive systems,
   which was introduced in 2.29 timeframe.

Also contains various documentation updates and code clean-ups.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v2.31.0 are as follows:

Andrzej Hunt (2):
      Makefile: update 'make fuzz-all' docs to reflect modern clang
      fsmonitor: avoid global-buffer-overflow READ when checking trivial response

Jeff King (1):
      bisect: peel annotated tags to commits

Johannes Schindelin (2):
      fsmonitor: fix memory corruption in some corner cases
      fsmonitor: do not forget to release the token in `discard_index()`

Jonathan Tan (1):
      t5606: run clone branch name test with protocol v2

Junio C Hamano (3):
      xcalloc: use CALLOC_ARRAY() when applicable
      cocci: allow xcalloc(1, size)
      Git 2.31.1

Kyle Meyer (1):
      config.txt: add missing period

René Scharfe (6):
      fix xcalloc() argument order
      git-compat-util.h: drop trailing semicolon from macro definition
      use CALLOC_ARRAY
      vcs-svn: remove header files as well
      block-sha1: drop trailing semicolon from macro definition
      mem-pool: drop trailing semicolon from macro definition

Torsten Bögershausen (1):
      git mv foo FOO ; git mv foo bar gave an assert