Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] l10n: Add git-add.txt to localized man pages

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:56:28 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wonder if we could have partial functionality for these "clone and checkout"
> fake submodules, by having e.g. the .gitmodules file telling you the URL
> and path, but no recorded gitlink in the tree.

You can have such a comment in any file including .gitmodules but
would that even be a feature?  

A comment in the INSTALL file was what I had in mind, at least while
we are getting more familiar with the proposed two project structure
and before we commit to use the submodule mechanism to bind them
together.

> So we'd want to be able to say:
>   "get a tarball including all submodules except the superproject"
>   (This would produce the "optional language pack tarball")

You do not need that.  Just go to the gitman-l10n project and grab a
tarball out of it.

>   "get a tarball including the superproject and only one submodule"
>   (This would produce the "I can distribute this in locally as everyone
>   speaks the same language in the organisation" tarball)

We don't need that, either, even though some other project would.
"git archive --recurse-submodules" with properly implemented
pathspec support will solve that.