Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/94] libify apply and use lib in am

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 11:30:45 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I however do not see a reason why you need to expose that feature to
>> the users of "git apply".  So I am not sure if any of us care deeply
>> the choice among --silent, --quiet and -q -q.
>
> About that I wrote in initial email above:
> ...

Because you are not bound to stick to what you thought before the
discussion, what you wrote before everybody commented to improve
your proposal does not really matter.  Otherwise, the time they
spent would be wasted.  What matters more is what conclusion you
drew after having input from others.

"That --silent is optional and cannot decide if I want to have the
option was what I said at the beginning" does not help the
discussion very much at this point.  People know that you couldn't
decide back then, and that is why they hopefully helped you to get
closer to deciding by discussing the series.

"OK, I now think we don't need 'apply --silent' because ..., so I'll
drop it" or "I still think we want 'apply --silent' because..., so
I'll keep it", followed by "thanks for discussing and helping" would
be a more appropriate answer, whichever conclusion you have drawn.

"Hmm, I still cannot decide." is also fine, by the way.