Subject: Re: Git's inconsistent command line options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:48:54 -0700

Jacob Keller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> But notice that I said "if you really want to".  I personally think
>> it is a road to madness.
>
> Agreed. I don't believe in command line API here. I think we'd need a
> better solution.
>
> My gut says: Live with the warts on old commands and try to make
> people use command words for new commands.

A transition to make everybody to use subsubcommands (thereby
changing what "git tag delete master" means) is impossible in
practice.  On the other hand, a transition to make everybody use
command mode options (thereby allowing "git worktree list" to be
also spelled as "git worktree --list") _is_ possible.

Has anybody created a handy catalog of Git commands with subcommands
and command mode options?  If we see such a list and replace the
column of subcommands with command mode options, we might find that
such a "command mode option only" world a pleasant future for us to
live in, or an unpleasant one that we have to keep typing two extra
dashes all the time.  I cannot tell offhand.