Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/11] commit: add tests of commit races

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:12:29 -0800

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> +# Copyright (c) 2014 Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
>
> What is the projects stance on copyright lines?

I do not think we have a strong one.

> I've seen files (most of them from the beginning) having some copyright lines,
> other files (often introduced way later) not having them, "because
> we're git and have
> history, so we know who did it".

I personally agree with that statement.  Also, a copyright notice
per file is often added when a new file is added, but that ends up
giving false sense of "ownership" to everybody else down the line
even after the file has been extensively modified.  It's not like
Michael solely owns all lines in this file in later versions.  And
even if people added their name at the top every time they make any
change, their names tend to stay even when their contributions are
later completely rewritten or removed.

In a sense, my agreement with your statement is stronger than "Yes,
Git can tell us who did what anyway".  What we can find in the
history is the sole source of truth, and in-file copyright notice is
misleading.  You do not even have to have one in the Berne signatory
nations anyway.

> The tests themselves look fine.
>
> Is there a reason you did not append the tests in 7509 ?

Hmph.